THE 1-in-3 ABORTION WOUNDED
1-in-3 women have experienced an abortion... and for every woman, there is a man. If you are one of the 1-in-3, you are not alone! Millions of women have made the same painful decision to have an abortion and have suffered the unexpected heartache and grief that follows this loss. Men are also speaking out about the regret and pain they feel for their role in the abortion decision.
The 1-in-3 are our mothers, daughters, grandmothers, sisters, aunts, girlfriends, ministers, worship leaders, bible study leaders, and women sitting next to us in church... most holding on to their secret in fear of judgment and rejection. The same holds true for the men involved -- our sons, husbands, fathers, etc... Sadly, the secret of a past abortion lives somewhere among all of us.
Since abortion is not openly or safely talked about in our churches or communities, the secret is held tight leaving her to carry a heavy burden of silence deep inside her soul for many years... some for decades... some for life. This secret turns into shame taking on a life of its own and leaving her hidden, isolated, disconnected, and feeling unworthy. Guilt, shame, and condemnation all stand guard at the door to her soul allowing no one to fully know who she truly is and unable to live the life God intended for her to live.
Abortion can hurt all involved, but for a woman created by God to give life, the guilt and pain of taking that life can lead to a life of destruction showing up in many different ways. If the grief is not dealt with, it will deal with her. Listed here are some of the ways abortion has affected the lives of so many women.
PTSD, Insomnia, Nightmares, Sadness, Shame, Anger, Regret, Grief, Anxiety, Guilt, Depression, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Suicide, Suicidal thoughts, Substance Abuse, Isolation, Failed Relationships, and more.
WHAT WE KNOW...
* There is a link between women who choose abortion and some form of past neglect, trauma, or abuse.
* 50% of women who have an abortion will have additional abortions.
* 70% of women who chose abortion indicate they are Christian.
* 45% of post-abortive women remain silent in church. Feeling unsafe and with no healing available, she will leave.
* More than 90% of women and men do not know where to go for abortion healing.
* Political, cultural, and religious messages of hate around the abortion topic keep the wounded silent and hidden.
* In The World Today --- 75% (conservative stat) of kids under 18 are having sex. If we genuinely want to end the abortion crisis, IT BEGINS AT HOME... not in our churches, not in Washington, or by changing laws. Talks regarding sex, pregnancy, and abortion must be discussed openly and honestly at home with our kids so that they are equipped to make smart decisions and not decisions based on fear.
**A child's home must be a safe place for them to run to in any crisis. Turning to their friends or the internet for help does not typically end well. Since most abortion decisions come from a place of fear and rejection, set up your home as "SAFE".
To end the need for abortion, we must become a movement of love, redemption, and hope -- not just focused on the unborn life but on the life of the woman who ends up in an unwanted pregnancy, desperately needing support.
If you are experiencing the pain and regret of a past abortion, please feel free to contact me. Help and healing are available. You deserve the healing of a broken heart.
Email me privately at Terri@FrontPorchGirl.com
If you are a ministry interested in having me come share my story, please contact me at Terri@FrontPorchGirl.com