ABUSED & ABORTION WOUNDED
Grace means that all of your mistakes now serve a purpose instead of serving shame.
If you have been wounded by abuse and/or a past abortion, I want you to know...
YOU ARE NOT ALONE. YOU ARE LOVED!
My heart hurts for any woman who has been in an abusive relationship... physical, sexual, emotional, or spiritual. I am so sorry that someone deeply hurt you and made you feel unworthy of tender love, respect, kindness, compassion, and grace... and often said you were not enough. It is a lie!
My heart breaks for any girl who found herself alone in a pregnancy crisis, and fear, abandonment, or abuse, told her the only way to survive was an abortion. Abortion breaks the heart of a woman... forever... no matter how she ended up on that table.
We now see evidence that abuse and abortion are often linked together. The experienced trauma of both abuse and abortion, if not dealt with, will leave her heart isolated and in tremendous pain as she lives in the shame of her secrets.
The common thread that runs through every abortion decision is paralyzing fear, abandonment, grief, loss, and shame. No matter how far our culture has come with unwed pregnancy, a girl is still met with judgment and shame from family, church, and friends. Not the same for the boy. It is CRITICAL that she has a safe place to turn to at this moment... HOME is best but most often the scariest! She is ultimately the one left with the responsibility of choosing life, giving birth, and making life-altering decisions as she raises her child.
1-in-3 women have experienced an abortion and for every woman, there is a man involved. These women are our mothers, daughters, grandmothers, sisters, aunts, girlfriends, ministers, bible study leaders, and women sitting next to us in church... all holding tight to their secret for fear of judgment and rejection. Shame is tethered to her secret and keeps her heart hidden, isolated, and disconnected... telling her that she is bad and unworthy of love.
Shame, Grief, and Condemnation all stand guard at the door to her soul allowing no one to fully know who she is.
EXPERIENCED SIDE EFFECTS OF ABORTION TRAUMA:
Grief from Loss
Disconnect from Children
Difficulty with Trust & Intimacy
*1-in-3 women have experienced the trauma of sexual and/or physical abuse.
1. Research shows that a large percentage of post-abortive women have experienced some form of past or childhood abuse and/or trauma.
2. Studies show that healing from the trauma of abortion and abuse helps end the ongoing generational cycles of abortion and abuse in families
3. Healing sets us free to tell our stories leading others into healing.
4. Healing sets us free to live an authentic life while discovering and living out our purpose.
FOR THE CHURCH...
Church, you must become a safe place where people in crisis run to for love and support.
*1-in-3 women have been sexually, physically, or emotionally abused.
*1-in-3 women have had an abortion and for every woman, there is a man involved.
* A large percentage of women who have had an abortion also experienced childhood trauma or abuse.
* 50% of women who have an abortion will have additional abortions.
* 70% of women who chose abortion indicate they are Christian.
* 45% of post-abortive Christian women attend church and remain silent in their secrets.
* 55% of post-abortive Christian women live in exile and believe God hates them and they are going to hell.
* More than 90% of women and men do not know where to go for abortion healing.
* Politics and Laws will never end abortion. Seeing this crisis through the eyes of a terrified girl and putting our focus on her support and survival will help end the need for abortion.
Save a mother, save a baby.
Church and community are the answer. The Church should be where we all feel safe to go for love and support in a crisis. No politics, no judgment, no shame... just a love like Jesus who is the way through all things!
THE KEY TO UNDERSTANDING HOW TO CREATE CHANGE IS IN OUR STORIES!
To end the need for abortion, we must become a movement of love, redemption, and hope -- not only focused on the unborn life but on the life of the woman who ends up in an unwanted pregnancy, desperately needing love and support.
You can read my personal abortion story here: FrontPorchGirl.com/mystory